26/03/2011

So, yeah. I’m unemployed, I watch a lot of films... Thought I’d review some films. I use the term ‘review’ loosely – some sort of personal/intuitive reaction is probably closer to it, as I’m not a great one for academic readings of thematic content.

I may just be avoiding all the other, more meaningful pieces of writing I could be working on, but as a concession to that, I’m going to try to limit these 'reactions’ to 500 words. Some concision wouldn’t do me any harm. Also, as I'm exactly the kind of person to get slightly obsessive about things like this, and as I don’t want to start watching films simply to write about them, rather than for their own sake, I’m only going to post about films that are new to me – otherwise I’ll just end up rhapsodising about Paradjanov and Vláčil and that way lies madness, particularly as I’m not especially good at qualifying why precisely I feel the way I do about the things I love.

Uhh, what was I saying about concision? Anyhoo - as long as there’s some kind of invention, creativity, or at least beauty to it, I don’t really care where or when a film is from, or who’s in it. So hopefully there should be a fairly broad range here. Among the ones I’ve watched recently that I’ve been impressed by (apart from modern usual suspects like Hunger, A Single Man, I am Love (so far, so predictable)) have been The Innocents, Le souffle au cœur, The Devils, Freaks, O Sangue...

So that's nice, innit? Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment